Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Suds and Blues hogtied at BU

Schlitz (13) vs Blues
Monday December 28

BU 9:00pm



4-4 Tie




Hey... sounds like this one was a classic Blues type game for a holiday matchup. Lets hear from super Guest Blogger Doctor Michael Jasse who has an outstanding recap of the game. Here's the good Doctor.

We had 12
They had 7
We tied 4-4 but we really should have lost

Larry and Roman centered 3 pairs of wings (Jasse and Roman would switch positions in the 3rd)
Jasse and Chuck
Elliot and Capraro
Pounds and Greggson
Defense
Reynolds and Campbell
George and Baker
CEO BMF in between the pipes

We scored first; Roman from Capraro on a bit of a bang bang play.
They came back to tie and then go ahead. Then things started to get interesting

I got interfered with and then pitchforked down but the ref didn't call it. I can certainly understand why b/c he was only a stick's length away and looking DIRECTLY at the play but alas, sans whistle. When the play stopped my frustration got the better of me and I took my stick, put it under the attempted mugger's lumber and promptly flung it into the 3rd row narrowly missing a peanut vendor. The ref apparently found his whistle and I got called for unsportsmanlike conduct (the first in my 15 yr career). My second unsportsmanlike infraction immediately followed when I asked the now whistle-happy stripes if he was f'n high (I was just looking for a doobie-partner for the 4th period but he didn't quite see it that way). As I was contemplating my punishment in the box of shame, I muttered something about the on-ice official doing bong hits in the parking lot before the game and next thing I know the aforementioned ref is in my face demanding to know exactly what I said. Apparently he thought I was challenging to meet him in the parking lot after the game (which is so me). George mediated the exchange (thankfully) and all was forgiven. When I got back to the bench, Greggson turned to me and said,
"You're being verrry undude."
Classic.
Back to the game.

Jasse and Chuck had a nice 2-1 give n go where mj fed Chuck who made his move and clanged one off the iron; more from the goalie's best friend later.
Mike Campbell made a spectacular play; lugging the mail out of his end, feeding Jasse with a cross ice pass while he and Larry barreled into the offensive zone. Jasse then went back to Campbell with the oft-maligned no-look backhanded pass which Campbell promptly fired a zinger of wrister which beat the keeper short side. A sweet play ending with a helluva shot, a helluva shot.
Larry would score and also Baker (I think) but the game was getting testy.
A series of head-scratching calls by the Zebras:

Capraro had a golden opportunity to bury a rebound in the crease but the ref lost sight of the puck (which everyone in the building could plainly see) and stopped play.
Baker had great momentum in the offensive zone and then an inexplicable whistle for man in the crease
The Blues scored but the goal was waved off b/c the net was off its mooring; perhaps a sly, veteran move by Steve Baker?
Pete Capraro got called for interference WHILST CARRYING THE PUCK
Finally, Larry got spilled in the offensive zone (no call) and then made his way back up the ice with an obvious bee in his bonnet. A bang-bang play in front of Kilroy would result in the puck going in and quickly out of the net and Larry STAPLING not one but 2 Blues into the back boards. The result was Larry in the box of shame BUT the refs missed the goal. The Blues were justifiably upset but no goal. 4-4 with the clock ticking down.
With 38 seconds left, Jasse blocked an attempted pass which ricocheted off the knee pads and made its way to center ice. A sprint ensued and Jasse poked the puck up ahead and the race was on. A 1 on 3 with Jasse leading the way but the D closing in. Jasse took a peak and unleashed a wrister headed for the stick side.
As soon as it left my blade I was thinking,
'That's got a chance.'
Clang!
Off the post.
That was it-game over.
I think Reynolds summed it up best by channeling Johnny Upton from Slapshot,
"That was fuckin' disgrace."
True true.
Perhaps our fortunes will turn with the new year.
'Till next time
# 12 in your program

Dude... that was quite a guest blog... I mean clasic. An excellent ... if not dudeisticly eccentric.. outstanding. Thanks very much.
Nice job at lest getting the hard fought tie. Good work boys.

No comments: