Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Dear Boston Bruins... again,


Well... I know hearing from me a couple weeks ago was probably a surprise given I've been away so long... ok I'm sure you still didn't notice... especially now that you are so popular, and deservedly so.

I'm back again, and I won't keep you long as I know you've got a big game tonight, but that's why I'm writing again. You pulled off that epic game 7 against the Lighting that time and now after another incredible series of games chock full of some of the best hockey I've watched in a long time you are there again. Except this time its for all the marbles. The whole enchilada.

The Cup will be skated around that building in Vancouver tonight and I guess the reason I'm writing (again) is that I really hope that the guy carrying it is wearing Black and Gold.You got me. I'm back pulling for you and hoping and anticipating tonight's tilt like it really means something to me. I honestly haven't felt this way since I was a kid. I haven't cared this much since Cam Neely was scoring goals on one leg showing he was the toughest guy in the world, and Ray Bourque was showing every night what it meant to be a sportsman and competitor. Now Cam is upstairs wearing a suit, Ray is grey and showing sportsmanship on the golf course (and has a ring on his mantle that doesn't have a B on it) and I'm not that skinny kid on the couch jumping up and down when you scored and crying when you lost.

I haven't hated anybody the way I do the Vancouver roster, scum bags like Burrows, LaPierre, Torres, and that total D-bag Luongo since guys like Ulf Samulson, and Claude "The Rat" Lemieux skated against you. Maybe Vancouver's unlikability has helped draw me back to your side... it doesn't matter now.

The thing is I'm really in for tonight. I hate to admit to myself that after a long time of saying how much I don't care, I do. Its going to hurt like hell if you lose tonight, but if you win... well that's going to really be something.

I've got my own skinny kid to jump up and down on the couch for me when you score tonight. Im going to let him stay up late to see that special moment that will happen at the end of the game.

You know the one, where the Captain is handed that massive silver cup and holds it over his head. The smile on that guy’s face is pretty much the top of the mountain in sports as far as I can tell. No happier smile in the world.

I hope that guy is your captain Zedeno Chara tonight. I’ll be standing there in my living room with my arms up and tears in my eyes. Like everyone else around here (and at my house) I'm pumped for the game, hell, you've even made a fan out of Crystal and that's no small feat.

I guess this went longer than I meant, but like I said... I guess it means something to me again.

The past is over for me now. There is only this game and my heart is with you as you go.

Good luck. Kick ass tonight. I’ll be with the skinny kid on the couch, living and dying with every shift and shot, and hoping for that moment that fans around here have been waiting far to long to happen.

Be champions tonight.

Sincerely, Jeff

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't vorry.....ve vill win za cup tonight....
Z